Belgrade School District #44
COVID-19 Emergency Policies 1900
The board of trustees and its staff are operating under unusual, even unprecedented circumstances by virtue of the declaration of a statewide emergency by the Governor and the executive orders related to school closure to address concerns from the COVID-19 Virus, and/or the declaration of an unforeseen emergency (community disaster) made by the Board of Trustees. In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Board of Trustees has found it necessary to adopt temporary policies related to emergency school closures, the ongoing provision of educational services to students, meetings of the Board, gatherings on school property, health and safety of students, staff and community members, human resource matters and budgetary matters. To ensure clarity and transparency, the board has organized all emergency school closure policies into a temporary chapter. The board has also included this introductory section as a heading for each policy to ensure understanding of the purpose and duration of each policy adopted pursuant to this chapter.
Purpose(s) of Policies
- Ensuring that locally-elected trustees charged with the supervision and control of their local public schools, in collaboration with their staff leadership teams, make decisions that are in the best interests of students, staff and the community served.
- Ensuring measures to protect the health and safety of students, staff and community members.
- Addressing issues relating to student instruction and family engagement
- Addressing barriers to learning presented by distance.
- Improvement of instruction in on-site, offsite, and/or on-line settings
- Ensuring continuity of employment of school district staff and/or continuity of services provided by contract transportation providers.
- Ensuring accountability to families with children.
Term of COVID-19 Emergency Measures Policies
School District Policies Numbered 1900-1999 are intended to govern during any emergency related to COVID-19 declared by the President, Congress, Montana Legislature, Governor, Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, County Health Department or the Board of Trustees. The term of School District Policies Numbered 1900-1999 shall run until terminated by a vote of the board of trustees.
Cross Reference: Policy 2221 – 2221P – School Closure
Policy 1400 – Board Meetings
Policy 1310 – Policy and Procedure
Policy 1420 – Meeting Procedure
Legal Reference: Executive Orders – 2 2021 – Office of the Governor and accompanying Directives
Section 20-9-801-806, MCA – Emergency School Closure
Section 50-1-202-204, MCA – Public Health Laws
Section 10-3-104, MCA – General Authority of Governor
Article X, section 8 – Montana Constitution
Revised on: 8-20-2020