Dear Belgrade Students, Parents and Staff,
I wanted to offer clarification on a safety question regarding the use of masks or shields. The CDC and our local health department both recommend that all persons wear masks to prevent the spread of COVID. Masks provide much better protection than shields.
Our goal is to keep everyone safe and keep schools open. To that effect, the School Board passed Emergency Policy 1905 on August 20, 2020 that states:
The School District (Emergency Policy 1905) requires all staff and students to wear appropriate masks to protect colleagues and peers while present in any school building. The School District will provide masks to students and staff and expect that the masks be washed on a regular basis to ensure maximum protection. The Board of Trustees’ decision to require and provide masks is based on a review of the circumstances in the community and consultation with local health officials on issues including but not limited to the possibility of exposure and availability of masks.
Students and staff who are not able to wear a mask due to a medical condition should provide that documentation to the building principal. Upon approval, the use of a shield alone without a mask will be allowed in those circumstances.
Please keep in mind:
- Disposable masks should be thrown away at the end of each day or sooner if they become soiled.
- Cloth masks should be taken home and washed every night.
- Masks offer the most protection when they have at least two layers of cloth.
- Buffs and bandanas are acceptable substitutes for masks as long as they cover the nose, mouth, and chin and fit closely to the face.
- Individuals refusing to follow this policy will not be allowed to remain at school.
Thank you again for your help in making sure we can keep schools open.