Belgrade School District #44
COVID-19 Emergency Policies 1900
The board of trustees and its staff are operating under unusual, even unprecedented circumstances by virtue of the declaration of a statewide emergency by the Governor and the executive orders related to school closure to address concerns from the COVID-19 Virus. As part of its own concurrent declaration of an unforeseen emergency (community disaster), the board of trustees has found it necessary to adopt temporary policies related to emergency school closure. To ensure clarity and transparency, the board has organized all emergency school closure policies into a temporary chapter. The board has also included this introductory section as a heading for each policy to ensure understanding of the purpose and duration of each policy adopted pursuant to this chapter.
Purpose(s) of Policies
- Addressing barriers to learning presented by distance.
- Improvement of instruction in offsite setting during school closure.
- Ensuring equity in services provided, including special education for exceptional children pursuant to Title 20, Chapter 7, Part 4.
- Mitigation of digital divides that could otherwise create barriers to effective learning.
- Ensuring adequate nutrition for students relying on the district’s nutrition programs.
- Ensuring continuity of employment of school district staff and/or continuity of services provided by contract transportation providers.
- Ensuring accountability to families with children.
Term of COVID-19 Emergency Measures Policies
The term of School District Policies Numbered 1900-1999 shall run concurrent with any emergency related to COVID-19 declared by the President, Congress, Montana Legislature, Governor, Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, county health department or the board of trustees. This policy shall terminate, unless further extended, on the earlier of June 30, 2021 or the date upon which all emergency declarations related to COVID-19 that apply to the district have lawfully expired or have been dissolved.
Cross Reference: Policy 2221 – 2221P – School Closure
Policy 1400 – Board Meetings
Policy 1310 – Policy and Procedure
Policy 1420 – Meeting Procedure
Legal Reference: Executive Orders – 2-2020 and 3-2020 – Office of the Governor and accompanying Directives
Section 20-9-801-806, MCA – Emergency School Closure
Section 50-1-202-204, MCA – Public Health Laws
Section 10-3-104, MCA – General Authority of Governor
Revised on: 8-20-2020