School Cancellation and Delayed Start Protocol
The preference is to announce any alteration to the school schedule by 8 pm on the night prior to the school day. If this isn't possible, then the announcement should be made by 6:30 am on the day of school.
ORDER OF NOTIFICATION
- Principals and directors
- Board Chair
- Kitchen, bus and custodial staff
- All staff
- TV/Radio / IC Messenger/ Website
- School board
All messages must be approved by the superintendent or designee.
- 5:30 am - Inform kitchen, transportation and custodial staff 6:00 am - Inform staff by email
- 6:30 am - Inform TV/radio/IC Messenger for students and staff / Website
PROJECTED LOW TEMPERATURES (consideration for wind chill)
Delay the start of school by 2 hours if dangerous conditions are expected to significantly improve in the interim (e.g. snow, black ice, fog, temperature).
- -30 Cancel bus service / school in session
- -40 Cancel school
Buses should be started each day that it's below zero, even if it's a non-school day. If there are four or more district bus routes cancelled then morning bus service will be cancelled for the entire district.
- Breakfast will not be served.
- Dismissal will be at the regular time.
- School activities will be cancelled unless the situation is resolved.
Belgrade Public Schools Parent Information (website)
Like any public service, people count on our schools to remain open. Our role in the community goes beyond providing educational services:
- A significant number of students in the district would remain home alone without supervision if their school had an unscheduled closure. Many families find it challenging to adjust work schedules on short notice. We encourage families to have a plan in case of school closure.
- A functioning school building provides warmth and safety in addition to instruction.
- Many students rely on their schools for breakfast and lunch. These meals are convenient and provide nutritional needs for children who may otherwise go without.
Notification of school cancellation or delayed start will be made by 6:30 am each school day where the schedule is altered. Parents will be notified via Infinite Campus Messenger, the district website and social media, as well as TV / radio. In inclement weather we encourage parents to make attendance decisions for their children based on their specific ability to get to school safely.